Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Surgery Day: November 2, 2015

My first major surgery is in the books. The day started very early. Sarah and I got up about 3:45 AM as we needed to be to the hospital by 5:30 AM to register and check in. We took the picture below to capture the moment right before we backed out of the garage. 

4:15AM in the car about to drive to the hospital.
We got to the hospital, got through registration, and got checked into the pre-surgery room. My surgery was scheduled to begin at 7:30 AM. Probably the best part of getting ready for surgery is the awesome hospital gowns. They don't really make those for people my size and build. Of course you also have to get your IV. Here's a picture of me in my luxurious hospital gown waiting to be taken to the surgery room. 

Love the pink trim on the hospital gown.
About 15 minutes after the above picture was taken they wheeled me to the surgery room. Once they got me in the room my surgeon & anesthesiologist talked me through some of the details of the surgery, and then it was lights out. The surgery took around 7 hours total.

I have almost no memory of being in recovery after surgery, or being moved to my hospital room. Obviously, I was in and out of sleep a lot. The one thing I do remember is that while in recovery I found out I had been given a catheter before surgery, but after the anesthesia (Surprise!). I remember a nurse in recovery telling me not to pull it out, ha ha. Anyways, here is a picture Sarah took when she was allowed to see me in the recovery room before I was moved to my hospital room.

In recovery, notice my luxurious gown and jaw bra/ oxygen mask accessories completing the look!

In the picture above, the white and blue fabric holds ice packs on my jaw. It's velcroed on my head, and fun fact, is called a, "Jaw Bra." Most of the rest of Monday is a blur. I was in and out of sleep a lot. I remember the nurses taking my vitals and giving me medicine, the Surgeon checking in on me, and trying to to talk to Sarah. Here is a picture I took around 11:30 PM. That is one swollen face!

Swollen face, head bandage, jaw bra, oxygen mask, gown falling off...very attractive!
That pretty much sums up my surgery day. Thanks for following along with the journey. I will be posting weekly updates from here on out on how I am healing. I would greatly appreciate your prayers during the recovery. I will have my jaw wired shut (its actually rubber bands), and on a liquid diet for at least the next six weeks. 

As always if you took the time to read my blog, I pray that God blesses you and your family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No fat booth picture? :)